su/ CouldTime to start getting the garden ready for the Winter. While the days are still bright and reasonably warm there is a lot of tidying up to do and I always love this time of year when the leaves change colour and after a day outside you can justify a mug of hot chocolate by the fire.
Our photograph this time is of a portrait painted by a local artist of our “middle” dog – Vita. Claire Verity is based in Ledbury and works in pastels. We had our previous dogs painted by her and when we can keep Taz still enough we will have her done as well. To say that we are pleased with the painting is an understatement! Truly fabulous.
In my inbox on National Poetry Day I received “A Poem for Pooh Hall” from one of our guests. With his permission he has allowed me to share it with you and I think it sums up the magical feeling around this area and the cottages.
A Shropshire Lane.
- Up taxing hill by Woodside
- Quick of breath if not of pace
- The moon shows just half his face
- A homely cottage with tasteful paint
- My brisker steps clump by.
- The lane curls and falls like Autumn leaves
- Beneath my feet
- The bells of Clun at practice Clunk
- And Clang the changes yet may come.
- Now the ringers fall strangely silent
- At the darkened lych gate, I stand
- Noticing the notices of fetes and fateful bring and buy
- Cakes and coming Christmas hark and herald for the shy.
- Once again to my little retreat
- Steadier of breath and heart beat
- The key in the door
- The fire stirred to roar
- The coffee to pour
- Goodnight, and sweet slumber
- The day is no more.
Finally a well deserved well done to The Maltings Café for being in the top four cafe’s in this year’s Shropshire Cream Tea competition.
The Bothy available throughout December until Sunday 22nd. Three night minimum break and a 10% discount applies to all bookings.
The Gatehouse available from Friday 6th December – Thursday 19th December. As above a three night minimum applies and 10% will be deducted from our low season rate .
Keeper’s Cottage is available from 2nd December until the 20th three night minimum as above. This cottage is available for the Christmas period as a 5 night minimum stay ( could be longer!) but must be vacated on or before the 29th December.